Friday 4 August 2017

What to do with an Ikea box frame?




I normally put my work into three categories: 1 - ready to sell; 2 - I'm not so sure, needs more work; 3 - I like it, but I won't sell it. Those in the second category go through a few processes of adding, taking away, remaking until I am happy with the result. Sometimes, it might take weeks or months to rework a painting and this is the case with one of my cottage artworks that was waiting to be finished and I just couldn't visualise what else I could do with it.

After a trip to Ikea where I bought lots of unuseful items, I also bought a white box frame thinking that I might place a canvas in it. When I got home, I realised that all the paintings are bigger than the frame opening and as I looked around to see what I could put in it, I saw the unfinished painting sitting on the floor. Eureka - why not cut out the main feature of the painting and place it inside the box frame? Here is the 'making of' process and the result. Do you approve?


Can you spot the painting on the floor? It was sitting there waiting to be finished. 


Cutting the main feature from the painting - the cottage - and adding the sun and a few more poppies.


Signing the artwork and getting the box ready.


Mounting the artwork and assembling the box frame. 


Photographing the artwork. 

The novelty of this project is not the use of the box frame but the cutting of the artwork and giving it another life. I have a feeling that I won't stop here; now I am off to check my 'I'm not so sure, needs more work' pile while planning the next trip to Ikea. 


16 comments:

  1. Oho! Ikea! True plenty of very (un)useful things there. Noticed they keep on throwing themselves into your cart when you're looking the other way? But I do enjoy a stroll through Ikea every once in a while though...
    That painting of yours truely got a perfect place now. Looks as if it really belonged there al the time. I love it. It's so peaceful and full of life and joy at the same time. Beautiful!
    Have a lovely Sunday,
    Marjan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do indeed!
      Thank you.
      You, too, have a lovely Sunday:).

      Delete
  2. It's lovely :). Did you make the pretty cushion too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ikea and these box frames are brilliant. Your panting is fantastic and looks great mounted

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're brave, chopping into a painting, but it does look great in it's new frame. Will you use the other bits of the canvas for anything else? Could they be used for some sort of mixed media project? Or is that just hampering the 'keeping tidy' process by making you hold on to more stuff?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet, I put them on a side 'just in case', along with other bits and pieces that I might use for my mixed media paintings. For one artwork, I used fish cut from a print after another painting of mine :)).

      Delete
  5. I like the way you have selected the part of the painting to go into the frame. It is creative of you to do this, it can be difficult for us to take apart things we have made. The end result is fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a good idea. I've often found that cutting a painting down a bit can give it new life. Your cottage looks so good in it's new frame. I love your cushion in the pic too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems to be the week for Ikea Theodora. This is a great way to fit your painting in the frame. It shows it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting is so lovely, and I agree it goes perfectly in the frame.

    ReplyDelete